About Snoring & Sleep Apnea
Most people do not want to believe that snoring is a problem – many joke that “It doesn’t bother me!” Well, research shows that 37 million Americans snore when sleeping and it is a problem. Snoring leads to sleepless nights for family members, potentially embarrassing episodes when falling asleep on an airplane or in a theater and most importantly, can lead to severe health problems for those who suffer from Obstructive Sleep Apnea (OSA.)
Snoring occurs when the airway narrows or is partly blocked during sleep, due to nasal congestion, floppy tissue, enlarged tonsils or depressing effect from alcohol. OSA is marked by frequent stop and starts of breathing that interrupts your breathing during sleep. OSA increases the risks of cardiovascular disease, stroke, hypertension and arrhythmias. The American Academy of Sleep Medicine says 19 percent of women and 34 percent of men who snore routinely have Sleep Apnea. If you suspect you have Sleep Apnea, you should see an ENT physician for a sleep study.
A CPAP (continuous positive airway pressure) Machine is usually used to treat Sleep Apnea. It has a mask that placed over your face and is held in place by a chin strap. The machine increases the air pressure in your throat to prevent your airway from collapsing when you inhale which can help decrease snoring. However, many people find they cannot tolerate the mask on their face and unconsciously pull it off while sleeping. In those cases, a Snore Guard Appliance may be a good alternative.
"Great facility and staff made for a pleasant dental experience. Everyone is very welcoming and takes the time to explain things to you and ensure your comfort. Definitely recommend Start Smiling Dental!"- L.W. / Google / Jul 24, 2017
"Dr Sayeg is great and he has very sweet and gentle assistants and hygienists."- L.D. / Google / Jul 02, 2019
"After another dentist office cancelled my emergency filling appointment 20 minutes before I was supposed to be there, my boss (who also comes here) called Start Smiling Dental to see if they could fit me in. They were able to see me right away and EVERYONE from the front desk staff to the dentist was so kind and helpful. I always knew what was going on during the filling and despite normally hating the dentist, I felt as comfortable as possible. I'll be making this my regular dentist from now on."- C.F. / Google / Jun 14, 2019
"Amazing staff. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Sayeg, Tonya and the rest of the staff. I look forward to my appointments. Everyone is very caring. They honestly make you feel like family. Love them all."- B.S. / Google / May 11, 2019
"Amazing staff. I cannot say enough good things about Dr. Sayeg, Tonya and the rest of the staff. I look forward to my appointments. Everyone is very caring. They honestly make you feel like family. Love them all."- F.B. / Google / May 09, 2019
what you can do:
What YOU can do that may help you to stop snoring:
• Sleep on your side. Place a body pillow against your back to keep from rolling on your back which triggers snoring.
• Avoid alcohol for 4-hours before bed. Alcohol relaxes your airway muscles, leading to constricted airflow.
• Buy a special pillow which elevates your chin and keeps your tongue from blocking the back of your throat.
• Quit smoking. Tobacco smoke will irritate throat membranes
• Lose excessive weight. Fat around the neck compresses the upper airway and impedes airflow. OSA has been associated with a neck circumference greater than 17 inches in men and 16 inches in women.
How we can help!
What START SMILING DENTAL can do to help you Stop Snoring:
• During a complimentary exam, we will evaluate your airway, throat anatomy, and tongue and determine if and what kind of dental appliance will work for your snoring.
• A simple appliance which moves your jaw forward as little as 3 millimeters is a proven method that can decrease your snoring and give you and your partner a more restful night sleep.
• We use different type of appliances to fit your specific needs and will adjust the appliances to maximize your comfort, while stopping your snoring.
• Appliances advertised over the internet can in many cases work, but tend to be uncomfortable, short lasting and may alter the position of your teeth.
• At Start Smiling Dental we include all adjustments and will professionally clean your appliance at no charge to you for two years. We also guarantee that we will stop your snoring or your money back.
Costs & Insurance
Treatment for snoring may be covered by your medical insurance depending on your healthcare benefits. Most coverage requires a Sleep Study and diagnosis of Sleep Apnea. The cost of treatment can vary depending on your personal needs. We will be happy to see you for a free consultation to discuss your needs for snoring treatment.
Our Start Smiling Dental Team will be happy to help you find out if you have benefits and assist you in filing your claim. As always, payment plan options are available and our team will help you find a way to afford the treatment you need to get a better night's sleep!
Plan Your Procedure
- Procedure Recovery Location
- In Office
Get Quality Sleep
Snoring affects everyone in your house, but can affect you the most. See your doctor immediately, if you suspect you may have sleep apnea and then see us for help solving your snoring issues. We can help!